în aşteptare #1. (10.01.2011)

În lumina slabă a camerei sale, dar, mai ales, în lumina tuturor celor întâmplate, îşi aştepta sfârşitul. Avea să vină, ca aproape tot ce i s-a întâmplat lui, în totalitate normal, chiar banal şi vechi. Ca şi ziua aceea în care, întorcându-se acasă de la câmp, îşi ducea în căruţă soţia moartă. A murit în câteva secunde, fulgerată. Îşi aduce aminte cu groază, dar mai ales cu ruşine, de ziua aceea şi de privirle curioşilor în căruţă, unde, puţin schimbată la faţă, stătea întinsă femeia de care îl lega până atunci o viaţă. Viaţa care îl lega de acea femeie din care sufletul a încetat de ceva timp să mai fumege.
[citeşte continuarea...]

dialog. anthony d'amato

Scris de răzvan cîmpean duminică, ianuarie 02, 2011

Photo by Max Iattoni
In my constant search for good music I've found, at the beginning of 2010, Anthony D'Amato's second album and I thought I was listening to someone with much more experience. Because, as it is obvious today, Anthony impressed me the most last year and because we're talking about someone mainly unknown, I set down, virtually, with Anthony and spoke with him about his music.

For someone with less than 3,000 plays on last.fm , you sing impressively. Why do you sing?
Anthony D'Amato: I don't really know why I feel the urge to write and perform music, but I do. I think I'd go crazy if I held it all in. It's my way of dealing with whatever's going on inside me.

What inspires you the most and who has been the greatest influence on your music?

A. D.: Seeing an artist put on a great live show always inspires me to go home and get writing. Every time I see a Bright Eyes concert, I immediately head home and write a dozen songs trying to live up to what I've just seen. The greatest influence on my music has probably been a songwriter named Jesse Malin. His album The Fine Art of Self Destruction really made me want to become a songwriter and when he heard my first set of demos, he offered me my first gigs opening for him.
With whom have you sung so far and how was it?
A. D.: Sam Roberts sings on my new album, Down Wires and that was an absolute thrill for me. He's one of my favorite songwriters, so it still feels kind of unreal to have his vocals on one of my songs. In general, though, when you hear harmonies on my recordings that's a wonderful singer named Katy Pinke who I met at school and have collaborated with a number of times.
I loved your second album, Shades of the Prison House, and found it almost perfect. What's different on Down Wires?
A. D.: Down Wires is more of a rock and roll record. More electric guitars, more drums. It was the first album I really made with other people. I played pretty much every instrument on Shades of the Prison House, but I wanted to expand my sound a bit for this new album and I'm so proud of how it turned out.

Is there anything you'd like to sing about and didn't by now?
A. D.: I think I feel most compelled to write music when I'm feeling down or working through something difficult, and in the future I'd like to work more on writing just as much when I'm feeling more positive. I don't necessarily feel the urge to get those emotions out into song-form, but I'd like to get better about that.

Besides music, how do you try to make your life beautiful?
A. D.: I love this question. Besides music I try to read as much as I can--I get song ideas from books just as often as I do from my personal life. I try to travel and experience new places whenever I can (hopefully I'll be traveling more and more as the music takes off). And I've got a wonderful girlfriend who shares in my life and brings a lot of beauty to it, too.

You said in an interview, one of the few I've found, that your biggest guilty pleasure is that you steal from your roommates. Do you remember what was the first thing that you stole?
A. D.: Haha that was actually a joke. I don't steal from my roommates. They've been really supportive of my music from the start, and I can't thank them enough.
What is your dearest memory about music?
A. D.: I think my dearest memory about music has to be last year when I got to be onstage with Bruce Springsteen at the Light of Day Benefit. I opened the concert, and Springsteen showed up later in the night to play with Jesse Malin, Willie Nile, and Joe Grushecky, who are all friends of mine. At the end of the show, Springsteen invited all of the night's performers out onstage for a pair of songs. He's a real hero of mine, so it was magical to meet him and be on that stage.

What are you most proud of what you've accomplished so far?
A. D.: I think I'm most proud of the fact that I'm still here and sticking with it an moving forward. I decided a long time ago that making music is what I wanted to do with my life and I was going to do whatever it takes to make it happen. It's been a lot of hard work and a lot of tiny, incremental steps forward, but I can look back now at the progress I've made from the early days and it seems huge. And I look ahead and see I've got a long long road in front of me to get where I want with my career, but I know that it's just going to take the same determination, hard work, and devotion to music that's been pushing me forward up to this point.

If in, let's say, 10 years time you'll still be making music, how do you see yourself?
A. D.: I hope in ten years I'm playing all over the country (and the world). I hope I can play big theaters with a band and I hope that I'm making music that's meaningful to people. I hope I'll be writing songs that will stick around long after I'm gone.

1 Responses to dialog. anthony d'amato

  1. dacian spune:
  2. felicitari, copile :)

     

Trimiteți un comentariu

Adresa de email (abonarea trebuie confirmata):

O colecţie de obsesii, pasiuni şi frământări din mine, un loc pe care îl cizelez şi-l modelez permanent după firea mea schimbătoare, o oglindă difuză a ceea ce-am fost şi încerc să fiu. Un blog scris nu atât pentru a fi citit, dar pentru plăcerea nebună de a fi scris. [detalii]
A apărut o eroare în acest obiect gadget